Panama City, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Can an 18 year old leave home to move in with a friend?

My best friend is in an abusive house hold and he is 18 turns 19 in September his father absolutely will not agree because he needs someone to babysit his younger brother. His father is an alcoholic and his mother is a drug addict who doesn’t have rights to the kids. His father had put him through horrible things and he is mentally not doing well in that house. He wants to be able to move in with me but I live in Florida is there anything he can do that won’t get him or me and my mother in trouble?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, if he is 18, he is legally an adult. He is no longer under the control of his parents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.