Manhattan, NY asked in Domestic Violence for New Jersey

Q: I have a TRO against my child father he missed court and now our FRO has move. I’m thinking about doing a civil agreemen

Do I need an attorney to do civil agreements?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes, you should have a lawyer knowledgeable with domestic violence matters prepare it.

Here are a few "basic" questions that an experienced lawyer handling domestic violence matters should address in the document:

Is it going to be a consent order or consent agreement and what are the differences?

Are the restraints going to be mutual or against him alone?

What type of contact/communication is prohibited vs permitted and if there is a violation, what relief is available to you?

If there is a violation of the restraints, what recourse do you have (if any) to file a new domestic violence complaint?

How do the restraints in the document impact his visitation relationship with your child (if at all)?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.