Coeur d'Alene, ID asked in Criminal Law for Idaho

Q: I'm a felon from 25 years ago for drug possession.

I was served with a search warrant for a stolen laptop which I had bought from this person not knowing that it was stolen. During the search they found 26 rifles and apparently 3 were stolen. Again not knowing that they were stolen. I was charged with 26 counts of illegal firearms possession and 4 counts of grand theft. I did not steal any of it and they want me to plead guilty for a reduce sentence. What do I do plead guilty for something that I didn't do or go to trial ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: If you are a felon, you may not possess a firearm, period. Regarding the laptop . . . what kind of computer was it? Did you pay full price for it? Did you pay a fair, used price for it? What questions did you ask the seller before buying it? Did the seller "dump" it for a hundred bucks just to get something for it? Why wouldn't this trigger your brain to say, "hmmmmm, must be stolen?!" For one thing, you probably didn't get the name of the seller, did you? You probably didn't get a receipt from the seller, did you? What were the circumstances of the sale? Was there anybody else there that could talk about all the questions you asked the seller before buying it. If not, you're probably dreaming about winning a trial! All of the answers to these questions, is probably what the prosecutor put in his Affidavit in Support of A Warrant to Search, " and took to a Magistrate Judge. Regarding the "offer" they made to you . . . if you believe a jury would acquit you after answering the above questions, then go to trial. If you believe there is a good chance a jury would ask you the same questions I asked, then take the offer and don't question whether it was a good deal or not, because grand theft carries up to 12 years in prison and some District Judges are apt to let you serve a 1/3 of it before they make you eligible to parole out.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.