Grand Rapids, MI asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan

Q: Can foc keep my fiancé son away from me not letting him get over nights over false accusations?

At the time i was just his girlfriend and his sons monther started a bunch of drama and i retaliated in text so then she accused me of hitting her son and she told them how me and his father were always fighting and breaking up they believed her. The text she showed in court where only of my responses they did not take our proof into consideration. So they denied him overnights only get 4h on friday and cant be around me. So now that we’re engaged if he goes back to court will they change how they feel and give him his overnights back? It doesnt seem right that they did that with no proof. Are they allowed to keep him away interfere with his personal life and his relationship with his son just because of a bitter baby mother?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: "They" are not doing anything. The child's mother made an accusation that FOC substantiated, creating this order. You being engaged does nothing; being married might help. But your relationship status has nothing to do with what the judge will find pertinent to changing this.

As the soon-to-be step parent, I'd suggest you proceed cautiously, letting your fiance take the lead. Nothing seems to draw ire more than whom may be perceived to be an interloper. Ultimately, your fiance's son is his, and he needs to focus on working with that; there is nothing you can do - despite good intentions - to fix that for him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.