Kingsport, TN asked in Child Support for Tennessee

Q: My ex husband is refusing to give me a copy of his W2 per the court order in our divorce decree. What should I do?

Live in Tennessee. Divorced in 2016 with 2 kids and have never received a copy of his W2’s from him. Since 2016 he is no longer covering our sons daycare as he is in school (my lawyer said when he was out of daycare to go to court for a readjustment in child support but haven’t yet and my son is in 4th grade now), he is also no longer paying for our 2kids healthcare (taken into consideration against CS payments) as they have it through the state, my income has vastly decreased since our divorce in 2016 and I have had 2 more children (different dad) all of which I know effects percentages and child support payments. Needless to say it’s time we reevaluate our child support agreement as I need to go for an increase this year for the first time ever and therefore need to get a copy of his W2’s but he is refusing to do so even with a court order. I can’t afford a lawyer but need to know what steps to take have this order enforced. Thank you in advanced for your time and any advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can enforce court orders through contempt petitions. You can seek to modify orders through motions for modification. Both can be tricky to navigate without counsel. Maybe check with legal aid to see if you qualify for help if you can't afford a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.