Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Missouri

Q: Will I have to pay child support if the child moves in with his father who owes back child support?

This is in Missouri and the father owes 8,000 in back child support for this child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: This has come up in several of my cases where custody has to change for various reasons. Most of the time, the judges in the courts I practice in have determine it to be a credit towards the amount you owe. Since you stated there is $8000 in arrears, you would be "paying" the new amount of child support as a reduction of the arrears. Your payments would reduce the arrears until the arrears is paid in full. If the new order has you paying $800 per month (not saying it will, example only), after ten months you would start actually paying instead of receiving a credit. Keep in mind, the arrears could be reduced faster if the parent in arrears has his or her taxes withheld to pay towards the arrears.

As always, you may want to consult with a family law attorney as every case is fact specific and this could change based on your local judges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.