Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: Eviction note or not

I have a 29 year old brother in law living in a camper (not his) on our property. He has lived here since 2019. Never paid no bills or hold a job. All he does is ride four wheeler around and go to the neighbors down road who do meth and sell meth. Will not get job at all and we pay for food he keeps asking us for stuff. Is it possible to tell him to leave or call law to have him removed without an eviction note since he never paid a bill ever? Nothing here is his instead for a four wheeler and clothes. Help greatly appreciate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If he is a tenant in common of the property, then he has a right to be there. But if not, then file a Detainer Warrant on him for possession. Let the Sheriff serve/post him. Do not get in a fight or he will have leverage on you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.