Littleton, CO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: When changing a venue for child custody, does the petioner have to have the respondent re-served?

Does a venue change have to occur or is just an option for a custody case for a child under 6

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brock Richard Wood
Brock Richard Wood
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: In Colorado, a child custody case (known as an "allocation of parental responsibilities" case) is filed in the county in which the child resides or where the child is found. See Section 14-10-123, Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S.):

"(1) A proceeding concerning the allocation of parental responsibilities is commenced in the district court or as otherwise provided by law:

(a) By a parent:

(I) By filing a petition for dissolution or legal separation; or

(II) By filing a petition seeking the allocation of parental responsibilities with respect to a child in the county where the child is permanently resident or where the child is found..."

Has a change of venue been requested in your case? Was the petition for allocation of responsibilities NOT filed in the county where the child resides?

Generally speaking, a request to change venue (that is, to change which district court in the State of Colorado will hear the child custody case) must be filed with the court before you file a response to the petition.

You should consult with an experienced Colorado child custody attorney, explain the detailed facts of your case, and get his or her advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.