Columbus, GA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Georgia

Q: my husband child support case close now reopened without his knowledge now he is penalized

the case was supposed to be closed because the order states but the mother went back and had it reopend because the kids are in their last year of school the children are both 18 he was not notified and his employer was not informed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Simply because a case is closed does not mean it cannot be reopened. In the state of GA child support should be paid until the children turn 18 and have graduated from high school, that is, if it is a GA child support order. If the order was signed in another state, then the non-custodial parent would have to adhere to the laws of that state regarding child support. Therefore, in GA, support is owed until the children have graduated from high school, even if they have already turned 18. And keep in mind that if it is arrears, they don't expire.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.