Asked in Divorce and Collections for Oregon

Q: My husband's ex wife from 15 years ago had a medical bill while they were married they are coming after him to pay

In their divorce it said that she would have to pay her own medical bills and he would have to pay his but now after all this time the creditors are coming after him it's been so long and he didn't know she didn't pay and now the bill went from 6,000 to 16,000 what can we do this doesn't seem fair

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: It all depends upon the exact details. IF the creditor sued your husband and won in court, they would have gotten a Judgement against him. All Oregon Judgments are valid for 10 years and can be renewed once for an additional 10 years. So it is possible it is a collectable debt. If, however, they did not get a Judgement against him, he can likely tell them to leave him alone since it will likely be long past any statute of limitation. Be careful, however, to not pay them a penny until you are sure of your legal liability. Pay them anything and you risk reinstating the debt and starting a new statute of limitations to run again. If in doubt, review everything with a local collections attorney. IF they do not have an enforceable Judgment (presumably renewed once or it would have expired after 10 years and be invalid), you may have claims against them now for unfair debt collection practices - something your attorney can explain further to you

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.