Vidalia, GA asked in Adoption, Family Law and Child Support for Georgia

Q: How do I get the father rights taken? What are the main reasons a judge will take a fathers rights?

I have full custody. My divorce decree states that he must pay child support and supervised visitations

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: There is not enough information here for me to respond as to whether the father's parental rights can be terminated. You could file for child abandonment, based on what you have written, if he has not paid child support or seen the child. But I'm not sure if what you have written would be enough for a Court to terminate the father's parental rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.