Ringgold, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: In Georgia can the Attorney for Child Support Recovery deny the CP from going before the judge if the CP requests it?

Refiled with Child Support 6/2022...after 5 years of non payment... NCP went into office 11/2022 after multiple attempts to serve at residence and paid 2k and sign continuance for court 1/25/23. NCP did not make any 12/2022 or 1/2023 payment. At the time of this court date NCP has new job of 3 weeks. NCP was sent home without have to make any payment on 21k in Arrears by Child Support Attorney. CP and NCP informed NCP to pay arrears of $150 in addition to monthly support ordered. Cp was denied opportunity to both go before the judge. Cp was told next court date of 3/16/23 to make sure NCP is following through. Why didn't NCP have to pay something before leaving? Also why does it matter how long NCP has been on a job?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The attorney for the state represents the child, not the mother. If you did not get an opportunity to speak in Court, the attorney for the state must have thought your testimony wasn't necessary. If you don't like how child support enforcement is seeking to obtain arrears, hire a private attorney to file for contempt in superior court. Because as long as the state is handling the arrears case, you have no say in how they go about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.