Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maine

Q: Landlord options if they miss required window to notify tenant of increase in rent

As a landlord, if I ask a tenant to pay a higher monthly rent upon renewal of the lease, but I notify the tenant of my increase after the state of Maine required 45 days notice and the tenant refuses to accept my proposed increase, can I choose not to renew that lease and then find new tenants who are willing to pay the higher rent?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: It depends on how you do it and what the terms of the current lease and your notice of rent increase provide. I would need to review the current lease and the notice of rent increase to provide you with an accurate and more complete answer. As a general matter, however, if you make it clear the higher rental amount applies to a new lease, which the existing tenant can either accept or decline, it seems to me if the tenant declines to accept the new lease, then you are free to allow the existing lease to expire and find another tenant. Please realize the terms of the documents could change this answer. Moreover, you should be extremely careful here because Maine law is very tenant-friendly and there are penalties for not properly and strictly following the applicable rules and procedures.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.