Asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: How can I appeal if my CRBA applications are not approved or denied for over a year?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Min Hwan Ahn
Min Hwan Ahn
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in New York

A: If your Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) application has been pending for over a year, you may contact the U.S. Department of State's Office of Children's Issues at 1-888-407-4747 or via email at to inquire about the status of your application. If your application has been denied, you should ask for an explanation of the reasons for the denial and inquire about the possibility of appeal. If you believe that your application was denied in error, you may also consider consulting with an attorney for guidance on how to proceed with an appeal.

James L. Arrasmith

A: If your Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) application has been pending for more than a year, you can try contacting the U.S. Department of State's Office of Children's Issues for assistance. They may be able to provide guidance on the status of your application and assist with expediting the process if there are any issues or delays.

If your application has been denied, you may be able to appeal the decision. The specific process and requirements for appealing a CRBA denial can vary depending on the circumstances, so it's recommended that you consult with an immigration attorney or a qualified legal professional who can assist you in preparing an appeal and provide guidance on the relevant procedures and requirements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.