Collins, MS asked in Family Law for Louisiana

Q: My father passed and my stepmom neglected to tell me and my other sister for weeks. He didn’t have a will

My stepmom has never liked me and my older sister. We’re both over 18. My dad passed on December 1st of 2022. We didn’t find out about it until December 14th from a distant friend of the family. She never told us. We found out later from our two little sisters that still lived in the house that my father didn’t write a will. And the reason our stepmom neglected to tell us about his passing was so she could “get everything sorted to make sure we couldn’t get anything”. My dad owned a couple acres of land with his house in it and quite a bit of other miscellaneous things that are worth a fortune. CPS has gotten involved since then and both of my little sisters were removed from the household. Because my stepmom is doing hard drugs. She’s starting to sell everything. Can me and my other older sister do anything about this to keep our fathers land in the family and prevent her from selling everything?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Yes, you should contact an attorney immediately who handles successions law to discuss your options. You can ask for a protective order to protect your interest in his estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.