Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: What proof do I need to show I have 2 other children I’m obligated to?

I also receive ebt as well as Medicaid for myself and my son as I am low income. How will this affect my ability to pay child support to another child with a different father other than the two I have now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Child support is based on your gross monthly income. If you are unemployed, the court will impute minimum wage and use that as your gross monthly income. Being low income doesn't affect your ability to pay child support, nor does having additional biological children whom you support. Those factors may decrease the amount of support you pay, but do not relieve you of the obligation. If you would like to provide proof to the Court of your qualified dependents, you should produce a birth certificate for each child, paternity test results, and/or a child support order for the other children you would like to be given credit for in your new child support case. Because either the biological children need to live with you and receive your financial support, or you need to be paying child support for them, in order for them to be considered qualified dependents and listed on a child support worksheet.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.