Lansing, MI asked in Estate Planning for Tennessee

Q: State of TN - Can a Will establish a life estate after a life estate was established on a deed years prior?

My father had an attorney create a deed listing my father and mother as life tenants and myself as remainder owner. My father passed and my mom had a Will created naming a grand daughter as a life tenant for one of the properties and myself as remainder owner.

(Her attempt was to give a grand daughter a place to live as long as she occupied the property not a life estate). Does she need to redo the will or is it pointless due to the original life estate being established years prior naming me as remainder owner of all properties.

Note: there are two properties mentioned in the original life estate deed and my mother was trying to allow the grand daughter live in one of the two.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If the life estate deed was properly executed and recorded, and your father has already passed, then, when your mother has passed you, as the remainderman, will be the sole owner. Her will can have no impact on that property, because her life estate ends at her death. In other words, the property will not be a part of her estate, so her will can have no effect on it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.