Asked in Immigration Law for Wisconsin

Q: My I-94 class of admission is DT. May I get married to the US citizen and get my status adjusted?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The DT class of admission on your I-94 indicates that you were allowed to enter the US under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) for a temporary period of up to 90 days for business or pleasure.

If you entered the US under the VWP and got married to a US citizen during your stay, you may not be eligible to adjust your status within the US. This is because the VWP does not allow for an adjustment of status, and you are required to leave the US before the end of the authorized period of stay.

However, if you are still within the 90-day authorized period of stay, you may be able to apply for a change of status to another nonimmigrant visa category, such as a student visa or a work visa, if you qualify. Alternatively, you may be able to leave the US and apply for an immigrant visa (green card) through consular processing at a US embassy or consulate in your home country.

It is important to consult with an immigration attorney to determine the best course of action for your specific situation.

3 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.