Temperance, MI asked in Child Custody for Michigan

Q: Can I sue my attorney for not doing anything on my behalf in my child custody case which resulted in lost of custody?

My sons father took me back to court over child custody. We were never married I had full custody. Him and his lawyer knowingly and deliberately lied in court. My attorney never called a witness that I suggested to him or presented evidence that I had given him or told him he could obtain that would prove the lies wrong. He actually just kept telling me they will probably throw our the case. He would never address things my sons father was doing that was violation of custody orders. He mainly just sat in court silent. Am I able to sue him for failure to represent me cause it seems that is what he did. He choose not to but took my money and sat there.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Best advice would be to contact another family law attorney to review everything. You could certainly talk with a malpractice attorney, but some of what you write concerns trial strategy, which is difficult to show malpractice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.