York, PA asked in Adoption and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Husband wants to adopt my son 13y. Father is in Mexico, he never met him/doesn't appear in birth cert what should I do?

I have never seen the father after my son was born (he didn't try to contact us, although I tried a couple of times to connect them, when my son was a baby and when my son was 2-3 years). He really doesn't care about my son and I don't think he will ever do it. I have never ask him for anything, not money/food/clothes. I don't understand why now I need to search again for him (spend in a detective), pretty much ask him to accept that he is the biological father and that he voluntary relinquish his parental rights. is there another way? This process doesn't make sense to me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: By law, the biological father must be notified that his rights will be terminated in order for your husband to adopt your son. However, if you truly don't know where he is, there are steps that can be taken to demonstrate this to the court without the need to hire an investigator. You should have a private consultation with a local attorney experienced in adoption law to determine what proof of your attempt to locate him will likely be acceptable to your court to allow the termination of his parental rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.