Minneapolis, MN asked in Family Law and Probate for Wisconsin

Q: My husband's father passed away in May 2022 in Texas, with no will. Does my husband have any right to his estate.

My husband was the only child, and his father was remarried. At the time of his passing his step- mother said my husband would get about $30,000 from his JP morgan account and since then she has made her son from a different marriage power of attorney. The stepmother now acts like she never said any of this and my husband has nothing from his father. I know she is selling the house they lived in. Trying to read the law in Texas it seems like my Husband would get half of the estate since he is the only child from a previous marriage. Please help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA

A: You should contact a probate lawyer who practices in or near the city/county your father-in-law passed. Discuss in detail your situation and see what said lawyer advises. It is worth the cost of a consultation to get information. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.