Wheatland, MO asked in Divorce and Family Law for Missouri

Q: Already legally separated since 2019. We both are in agreement we would like the final divorce. How do we proceed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You state you are legally separated. If that means you have a judgment stating you are legally separated, then you simply need to file a motion to convert to a dissolution of marriage. You can have an attorney assist you or try to find forms on the self-representation portion of the Missouri courts website.

If you have only been living separately and agreed on how to divide all your assets and debts, then you can choose to use the self-representation forms to file for a divorce or hire an attorney to assist preparing paperwork for you to file or to prepare and file for you. Most attorneys will do uncontested divorces for a flat fee instead of hourly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.