Asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: What can I do about an FTA for charges that the DA promised to drop in Smith county tn.

I was at someones house when police searched without a warrant, the person "Joe" then showed them drugs (meth)in a seperate garage and then broke into a locked safe when police asked him to where they found benzos. I was charged the same as *Joe~2 counts meth w intent and 2 counts controlled substance w intent. The DA (i believe or top attorney in this town) made a deal with Joe~Joes charges, current and pending to that point would be dropped including traffic violations and my charges dropped in return for joe taking 11/29 probation w 6mnths suspended for misdemeanor simple poss of marijuana. Ive been to every court date but they all got continued until last week my ride broke down. I stayed in contact with the court and PD but after an hour or so i still hadnt found a way my PDs secretary called stating i had an FTA and my only option is to turn myself in. Im scared I cant afford a lawyer or bond. Any advice is appreciated

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The FTA is the least of your problems. Apparently you have not reached a disposition of your case. Hire a competent attorney to represent you, which may include Motions to Suppress, etc. if you are Indicted. Not showing up for Court is never excused when you are the defendant. Obviously you and your PD did not complete the Plea. Probably time for a new phone and number.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.