Hollywood, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Can I put a restraining order on my ex but still let her see our son?

Me and my ex girlfriend broke up several months ago. I have a new girlfriend and my ex girlfriend does not want our son to be around my new girlfriend. Yesterday, my ex girlfriend and her mom came to my house to drop my son off to me. Her mom physically and verbally assaulted me. I called the police and pressed charges against her mother. Also, I went down to the courthouse and filed a restraining order against her mom. Because my ex girlfriend came to my house with her mom and did all of that in front of my son I want to put a restraining order against my ex girlfriend, to simply stay away from me but I still want to allow her to see our child can I still do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Conditions in a restraining order (injunction) are up to the judge. If an injunction is issued against a person who shares a child with you then the injunction terms should reference access to the child. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.