La Grange, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: Can the court award a financed car in my name alone to my spouse and require me to pay for it?

I have an almost new car that is financed in my name alone. My wife currently drives the car because she totaled hers last year. I drive a paid off pickup, but originally purchased the car as my sole transportation. She cannot refinance the car in her name, as her credit is very poor. She also cannot afford to make the payments on the car, maintain it, nor afford the required insurance. I’ve offered to give her the truck outright but she doesn’t want it because it’s older and uses quite a bit of gas.

What can the court order here?

I’ll also add that the reason for the divorce is her being physically abusive to our children and she is currently under investigation for it. Not sure if that’s relevant.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The answer to your question is yes. The court can order you to pay for the car. Whether the judge does or not depends on a variety of factors. If she is abusive and you have custody of the children, it's less likely you'll have to give her the non paid off car. Consult an attorney in your area who can give you advice based on the full picture.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.