Rogers, AR asked in Child Support and Family Law for Kansas

Q: If my ex moves to Arkansas where I live, shouldn’t the support order end for Missouri?

My ex girlfriend filed for support in Missouri. Before the case was ordered, she moved here to Arkansas so my son could be closer to me. Shouldn’t that end the support order in Missouri?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: No. Under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act, if Missouri had jurisdiction when the case began, it continues to have jurisdiction until a final order is entered.

Once a final order is entered, under the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the US Constitution, any other state must give full faith and credit to the Missouri order.

However, a case can be filed in Arkansas once it has acquired jurisdiction to modify the Missouri child support order based on a material change of circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.