Minneapolis, MN asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota

Q: Should I go to court for speeding ticket that was reduced by the St. trooper under the Dimler amendment?

Trooper got me on radar going 76 in a 60mph zone. I was on a 2 way highway but in a passing zone so I had sped up to overtake the vehicle in the slow(right) lane. The officer entered the violation as 65 in a 60mph zone stating the Dimler amendment was applicable. Is it worth going to court to try to get the ticket dropped - I only have 1 other offense that is from 2015 - or should I pay the fine and be content with the reduced penalty?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Many people prioritize keeping a speeding ticket conviction off of the their DRIVER'S LICENSE record. Minnesota's "Dimler speeding provision" can provide an opportunity to do just that. But it may not always apply for all drivers cited for 65 or less in a 55 or 60 mph zone: CDL holders or people with non-Minnesota DLs may be out of luck. It should be possible to attend a court appearance to talk to the prosecutor about the possibility of a "Continuance For Dismissal Without a Plea," typically conditioned upon no same or similar violations for a year plus payment of money. If both are available, some will choose the "Dimler" speed since then they need not worry about ending up with two convictions if they should get another ticket in the following year.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.