Vonore, TN asked in Probate for Tennessee

Q: dad recently passed away. he has a checking account with no beneficiary. How can I probate to get access to his account?

He is survived by his living wife but she has multiple sclerosis and is living and being cared for in a nursing home. I have power of attorney over her. How can I get access to deposit, withdraw or close out my dads checking account?

Do I need to retain a lawyer?

What is the usual cost?

Is this a quick resolution or am I to expect a long drawn out process?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The answer depends on a lot of factors that are not given in your question. What is the value of the account? Did your dad have a will or no will? Did your dad leave any OTHER assets that need to be retitled? For a reliable answer, my best advice is you should schedule a consultation with a probate attorney in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.