Lansing, MI asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Michigan

Q: My ex wife has sole custody but i have the kids about 40% of the time.

My ex wife has sole custody but i have the kids about 40% of the time. She is leaving the country for 2 weeks and plans to leave the kids with her mom during her parenting time. I am not comfortable with this and I would like to know my options. The kids already mentioned that they will be sleeping on the floor with their mattresses so her mom can keep on eye on them at night. I don't trust her mom enough for something like this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You can file a motion to address this parenting time situation or file a motion for a change of custody.

Just know that with her having sole custody, it's you that needs to do the pulling and pushing here to make change.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.