Pittsburgh, PA asked in Real Estate Law and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: we bought a house together in PA, we've split, I have full custody of our child, She hasnt paid

the mortgage (I have been so credit doesnt tank) my family court atty says send her an eviction letter so I can sell the hosue, but everything I see is for tenants. Is there a special letter I should send?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You need to ask your family court attorney for a better explanation.

Ordinarily, if two people are both named on the deed for a house, each person has the equal right to occupy the house, and neither owner can evict the other.

In a divorce, the family court can award either spouse temporary use and possession of the marital residence.

Where things get messy is if you aren’t married. Then your attorney will need to file a suit for partition. The house will be sold and, after adjusting the equities, the net proceeds from the sale will be divided between you

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.