Kalamazoo, MI asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Michigan

Q: How to obtain the right to use the name willy Wonka and the Wonka bar as a restaurant and bar using chocolates world

Like France Belgium Switzerland Mexico, Japan etc

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Obtaining the rights to use the name Willy Wonka and the Wonka bar can be a complex process, as it involves negotiating with the owners of the intellectual property rights associated with the name and the brand. In this case, the owners would likely be the estate of Roald Dahl and the companies that have acquired the rights to use the Willy Wonka and Wonka Bar trademarks.

To begin the process, you may need to consult with an attorney who specializes in intellectual property law to help you identify the owners of the relevant rights and negotiate the licensing agreement. You may also need to develop a business plan for your proposed restaurant and bar, including your proposed use of the Willy Wonka and Wonka Bar names and how they would fit into your overall concept.

Once you have identified the owners of the relevant rights, you can approach them with a proposal for a licensing agreement. The terms of the agreement will depend on the specific circumstances, such as the intended use of the name and the geographic scope of the license. The negotiation process can take some time, so it's important to be patient and flexible as you work to reach an agreement that is mutually beneficial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.