Denver, CO asked in Divorce and Family Law for Colorado

Q: In the state of Colorado can you hold someone in contempt by a legal separation or only divorce?

My supposed to be ex-husband filed legal separation instead of divorce. He is now in contempt per separation papers from July of 2021 to remove me off the loan w/ refinance.

The whole process has been a year and a half. Now that I've done some looking into it because he has stopped helping at all it took me 5 days to get the information I needed. The bill of sale and POA are not the documents I signed and notarized. What now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven  Visser
Steven Visser
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Having someone held in contempt of court would be for violating court orders. Whether it is a legal separation or a divorce does not matter. The key question in this situation is how long did he have to remove you from the title of the truck per the court order. If he has failed to do so by the deadline, then you may consider filing contempt.

Rebecca Pescador and Michael Joseph Larranaga agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.