West Bloomfield, MI asked in Personal Injury for Michigan

Q: Can I sue a hotel for a small injury?

I stayed at the Embassy suites and used the hot tub while there. Two days later I noticed I have red sores on my body. I went to see a dermatologist and was told i have an infection named Hot tub folliculitis. Which develops from a dirty hot tub. I was given antibiotics and cream. even though its not a serious injury I feel as though I should be compensated for my pain.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I would agree with you in theory. You probably should consider making a complaint with the specific hotel management. There may be some back-and-forth, but eventually an insurance company will become involved. Don't expect much: "pain and suffering" isn't the thing many people think it is. Your compensation is more likely to look like medical reimbursement, and perhaps a little bit for your time and inconvenience.

But it would not hurt to talk with an attorney. It's possible some administrative regulation was violated, which could cause an award of attorney fees, which could serve as incentive for an attorney to take on your case. Otherwise, the potential judgment amount likely doesn't make much financial sense to an attorney to take on contingency, and certainly wouldn't make sense for you to hire an attorney hourly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.