Q: Is there a way to punish a police officer that had me arrested although he knew I could prove I was innocent?

This investigator questioned me about an accusation of a crime. I have people and even security video to prove that it was false information. He told me he didn't care he wasn't going to talk to my witnesses and showed up at my apartment the next morning with a warrant based on his forensic pathology. We lost our home and just so much stress and upheaval of our lives I really want to make sure he never does this again to anyone. And if there's a criminal charge I can bring against him I definitely want to.

1 Lawyer Answer
Melaney LaGrone
Melaney LaGrone
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If a police officer has enough probable cause to get a warrant signed by a Judge then he can move forward. It is not up to the police officer to determine guilt or innocence. That part is up to the Prosecutor and the court. Take it from a former police officer, in this instance, you have no recourse because he was doing his job.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.