Carteret, NJ asked in Adoption, Family Law and Immigration Law for New York

Q: Hi so I wanted to know what is form 6-2 of guardianship in new york staten island to be precise. And what is the process

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Form 6-2 is the Petition for Appointment of Guardian for a Minor. In New York State, this form is used to initiate a legal proceeding to have a guardian appointed for a child who is under the age of 18 and not emancipated.

The process for filing a petition for guardianship varies depending on the circumstances of each case, but generally involves the following steps:

Complete Form 6-2: You will need to complete and file the Petition for Appointment of Guardian for a Minor form with the appropriate court in the county where the child resides.

Serve Notice: You will need to serve notice of the petition on the child's parents, if they are living, and any other interested parties, such as grandparents or other relatives.

Attend Hearing: Once the petition is filed, a hearing will be scheduled where you will need to appear before a judge and present evidence as to why you should be appointed as the child's guardian. The judge will consider factors such as the best interests of the child, the wishes of the child, and the fitness of the proposed guardian.

Court Order: If the judge determines that appointing a guardian is in the best interests of the child, they will issue a court order appointing the guardian and granting them the necessary powers and responsibilities.

It is important to note that the process for filing a petition for guardianship can be complex and may require the assistance of an experienced family law attorney. An attorney can help guide you through the process, ensure that all necessary forms and procedures are followed, and represent you in court if necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.