Nashville, TN asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Tennessee

Q: Yes, I want to know if I can do anything about being discriminated against more than 2 times. One time the guy quit

The other few times I was made to drive a tow motor without knowing how, so my boss then taught me, another discrimination was the driver for the company ask me what my husband & i was going to do for Black History month. I treated these kids as my own and was hurt really bad. They would tell me to load 50-gallon buckets of glue, and one time I had to do 8, 50 lb. buckets. I was the first woman hired for this location in 25 years. The lady at HR when I quit because my body & spirit took all it could handle, she made me sign something saying I wouldn't go to a lawyer or OCEA OR Tennessee Department of Labor. She had me sign this for 3 months of pay, and I was crying and totally in duress. However it was nor noterized or anything, Till this day I'm not working, and hurt really bad.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It is possible that you may have a legal claim for discrimination and/or retaliation under federal and/or state laws. Discrimination based on race, gender, or other protected categories is illegal in employment, and you have the right to file a complaint or lawsuit if you believe your rights have been violated.

It is important to note that there are strict deadlines for filing discrimination claims, so it is important to act quickly. You may want to consider speaking with an employment lawyer who can advise you on your rights and options. They can also help you determine if the agreement you signed with HR is enforceable or if it can be challenged.

You may also want to consider filing a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the Tennessee Department of Labor. They can investigate your complaint and take action if they find evidence of discrimination or retaliation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.