Calhoun, GA asked in Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Georgia

Q: Can a lawyer write a statement for someone that gets the lawyer out of a felony but put's the person who signed in troub

I started dating a lawyer while I was going through a divorce. During the relationship I tried reconciling with my wife. I broke up with the lawyer and she trashed my house to the point of a felony property damage. My reconciliation didn't last and I ended up back with the lawyer. Because of the felony she was facing the loss of her law license. So I was guilted into helping her get out of trouble. She wrote a statement that I signed getting her out of trouble and basically putting myself in trouble. She then turned and worked with prosecutors to get me in trouble and ended up with a charge and 1 years probation which I'm okay with but is it appropriate for her to to write my statement

2 Lawyer Answers
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Legal Malpractice Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: A lawyer who knowingly aids in perjury, is subject to lose their law license.

Glenn T. Stern
Glenn T. Stern pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: There's a lot to unpack here, but briefly:

1. Your ex committed at least a few crimes (obstruction of justice, tampering with a witness, et. al) by manufacturing a false document she knew would be used in a legal investigation(s).

2. You committed obstruction of justice and the felony of false statement when you signed a written statement that you knew was false.

I think it's safe to say that none of this was legally "appropriate."

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.