Eden Prairie, MN asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota

Q: I got a moving violation for running red light.....I have clean driving record, entered intersection when yellow,

also wife agrees with this and officer had wrong intersection in citation.....hearing officer said I could pay $225 for ticket and have it removed with no issues in year, pay for ticket or argue in court/via phone ......what do you suggest, do I have chance if fight it or should I take $225 deal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Most people want to prevent a traffic violation conviction, in order to prevent one being added to their Minnesota driver's license record as a moving violation. If the defendant can resolve their traffic case with a "Continuance Without a Plea" ("CWOP") a/k/a a "Continuance for Dismissal with Conditions;" and then meets all conditions (usually pay prosecutions costs plus no further traffic violations) for the applicable time period (usually one year); then successful completion would mean the charge gets dismissed without conviction. If no conviction, then no conviction could be "certified" to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety for inclusion on the driver's license record. If you don't understand that explanation, call.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.