Asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: If I have been with my child’s father will he still have to pay child support ?

I have been with my child’s father for about 6 years now , I was on state assistance when I was pregnant but I had that I was living with him . I recently moved back to Michigan where I gave birth and I tried to reapply for assistance and I was told to contact child support office before I could be accepted. What could be the reason ? I was wondering if he would have to pay child support even if we have been living together and if I would even be able to get assistance living with him ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Hard to say, but having a child is exactly why the state directed to to the Friend of the Court. You cannot receive assistance without a child support order or having his income taken into account for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.