Baton Rouge, LA asked in Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Can I move with my two children to another state without their father knowing where we move? We’re not married.

The children do have their dads last name on birth certificate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: What is the father's involvement with the children and have there been any legal proceedings involving the children in which rulings/judgments/orders have occurred as to custody, child support, visitation and/or otherwise involving the children. Also, is doing this in the best interests of your children? All this said, I do not think you should rely upon information/opinions from a message board to make the decision here-----in this instance, if you are worried or concerned as to the legal consequences, then please consult with a family law attorney in your area to specifically discuss your matter. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.