Hatch, NM asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law, Employment Law and Social Security for New Mexico

Q: Can a person on disability help(volunteer) her husband in cannabis business without losing benefits?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It depends on the specific circumstances and the laws and regulations of the state in which the person resides. Generally, disability benefits are designed to provide financial assistance to individuals who are unable to work due to a disability. If a person is receiving disability benefits, they are generally not allowed to engage in substantial gainful activity, which is defined as work that involves significant physical or mental exertion and results in income above a certain threshold.

However, there are exceptions for certain types of work or activities that may be considered "unpaid work," such as volunteering or engaging in certain types of self-employment. In some cases, individuals may be able to engage in these types of activities without affecting their disability benefits, but it's important to consult with a qualified legal or financial professional to understand the specific rules and regulations that apply in your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.