Lafayette, LA asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Louisiana

Q: Can I recive my possession after I plead guilty ( forfeited) I was busted by the tasked police they arrested me took car

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you plead guilty and the court ordered the forfeiture of your property, you may not be able to receive your possession back. In general, when property is forfeited, it becomes the property of the government, and the owner loses all rights to it. However, in some cases, a court may allow the owner to petition for the return of their property if they can show that the forfeiture was improper or that they had a legitimate ownership interest in the property. It is best to consult with an attorney familiar with forfeiture law to determine your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.