Denver, CO asked in Tax Law for New Mexico

Q: Can we claim foster children on taxes who were in our care just under 6 months last year, 2 months longer than anyone

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Under tax law, you may be able to claim foster children as dependents on your taxes if they meet certain criteria, including the length of time they were in your care. To claim a foster child as a dependent, the child must have lived with you for more than half the tax year and meet other requirements, such as being a U.S. citizen or resident alien, and not providing more than half of their own support.

If the foster children were in your care for just under 6 months last year, it is possible that they may not meet the requirement of living with you for more than half the tax year, depending on the exact dates they were in your care. However, if they lived with you for more than half the year and meet the other requirements, you may be able to claim them as dependents.

It is important to note that claiming dependents on your taxes can be complex, and the specific rules and requirements may vary depending on your individual situation. It is recommended that you consult with a qualified tax professional or use tax preparation software to ensure that you are following the correct procedures and claiming all eligible deductions and credits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.