Indianapolis, IN asked in Adoption and Family Law for Indiana

Q: I am looking to do a step parent adoption for my daughter. Her dad hasn't been around for 11 years. I need cheap service

My daughter has not spoken nor been around her birth father for 11 years now. I don't have much money to spend but want my daughter to legally be my husband's child. She has been begging to do this and we just don't have the resources or know how to do it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If the birth father is in agreement with the adoption, a competent attorney with family law experience in or near the county where you live ought to be able to complete the adoption inexpensively—likely less than $5,000.

If the birth father objects, or you can’t locate him, it will likely be somewhat more expensive but doable given he hasn’t seen your daughter in 11 years.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.