Albuquerque, NM asked in Tax Law for New Mexico

Q: I filled a 1099 tax return in 2014 thru H&R BLOCK paid $1058.00 fed IRS got back & $178.00 from state/ filed 2022 taxes

state it said I suppose to get $374.00 back from state but State sent letter they kept $374.00 for 2014 gross recipe taxes HOW DO FIND OUT what's going on with that H&R BLOCK said they made no mistakes on 2014 tax return

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you received a letter from the state indicating that they kept $374.00 of your refund for 2014 gross receipt taxes, it is possible that there was an outstanding tax liability or other issue related to your 2014 tax return. Here are some steps you can take to investigate further:

Review your 2014 tax return: Pull out your copy of the 2014 tax return that you filed with H&R Block and review it carefully. Look for any entries related to gross receipt taxes or other tax liabilities that may have triggered the state's action.

Contact the state tax agency: Reach out to the state tax agency that sent you the letter and inquire about the specifics of the issue. Ask for an explanation of why the state kept your refund and what actions you can take to resolve the issue.

Request an audit or review: If you believe that there was an error on your 2014 tax return, you can request an audit or review from the state tax agency. This process may involve submitting additional documentation or information related to your taxes.

Consult with a tax professional: If you are unable to resolve the issue on your own, consider consulting with a tax professional such as a CPA or enrolled agent who can provide guidance and assistance in resolving the issue.

In any case, it is important to address the issue promptly and thoroughly to avoid any further complications or penalties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.