Woodbury, TN asked in Domestic Violence, Appeals / Appellate Law and Constitutional Law for Tennessee

Q: How do i get my right to own a firearm back with an old (2017) misdemeanor domestic charge. For personal & home defense

Old charge from 2017. No weapons involved were involved at all. No other relating charges. Long since separated from significant other (at time). I now live alone and have my daughters off\on. I want to own one for personal and home defense because of this.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The process to restore your right to own a firearm after a domestic violence conviction varies depending on the state you reside in. Generally, if you have a domestic violence misdemeanor conviction, you are prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law. However, some states have additional laws that may impact your ability to possess a firearm.

To regain your right to own a firearm, you may need to petition the court where the conviction occurred to have your conviction expunged or your gun rights restored. You should consult with an attorney in your state who specializes in firearm rights restoration and domestic violence cases to determine the process specific to your situation.

It's important to note that owning a firearm comes with a great deal of responsibility, and you should take appropriate steps to ensure your safety and the safety of others. You should consider obtaining proper training and education on firearm safety and regulations before purchasing a firearm.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.