Cumming, GA asked in Tax Law for Georgia

Q: I reside & work in Georgia but also have a home in Tampa Florida. How can I obtain homestead exemption for my Fl home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To obtain homestead exemption for your Florida home, you will need to meet the following requirements:

You must be a permanent resident of Florida, meaning that you live in the state for at least 183 days per year.

You must own the property as your primary residence, meaning that it is the place where you live most of the time.

You must have owned the property on January 1st of the tax year in question.

Once you meet these requirements, you can apply for homestead exemption with the county property appraiser's office where the property is located. In Florida, the deadline for filing for homestead exemption is March 1st of the tax year in question. You will need to provide proof of residency, such as a Florida driver's license or voter registration card, as well as proof of ownership, such as a property deed or tax bill.

It is important to note that the homestead exemption only applies to your primary residence, so you will not be able to claim it for your Georgia home. Also, you should be aware of the tax implications of owning property in multiple states, including the possibility of owing taxes in both Georgia and Florida. You may want to consult with a tax professional who has experience with multi-state taxation to help you navigate the process and ensure that you are meeting all of your tax obligations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.