Murfreesboro, TN asked in Civil Litigation and Elder Law for Tennessee

Q: Sold my home in October, opened joint acct with daughter to build a MIL on her property. Without permission she removed

me from account. I Had made deposit of $30,000 on construction start. Then she removed my name from account when Balance of account was $197,000. Total build amount was $110,000. She stole my money! Can I Sue her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can sue her for conversion, unjust enrichment, etc. However she can claim you gave the money to her when you opened the joint account. You might be able to claim a Resulting Trust with good evidence, and then file a Notice Lis Pendens on the title.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.