Oconomowoc, WI asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Banking, Elder Law and Probate for Wisconsin

Q: I am trying to find out what needs to be done to get my late parents bank records My brother, I and my daughter where P

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To obtain the bank records of a deceased parent, you will typically need to follow a specific process that may vary depending on the laws and regulations in your jurisdiction. Here are some general steps you may need to take:

Obtain legal authority: In most cases, you will need to obtain legal authority to access your parent's bank records. This may involve obtaining letters testamentary or letters of administration from the probate court, or filing a small estate affidavit if the estate is below a certain value. Your attorney can advise you on the specific requirements in your jurisdiction.

Request the records: Once you have legal authority to access your parent's bank records, you can request the records from the bank. This may involve providing proof of your authority, such as a court order or a notarized affidavit.

Pay any fees: Some banks may charge fees for providing copies of bank records. You may need to pay these fees in order to obtain the records.

Review the records: Once you have obtained the bank records, you should carefully review them to ensure that they are accurate and complete. If you have any questions or concerns about the records, you may want to consult with an attorney or financial advisor.

It is important to note that the process of obtaining bank records for a deceased parent can be complex, and may require the assistance of an experienced attorney. Your attorney can guide you through the process and help ensure that your rights and interests are protected.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.