Loganville, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: how do i file a motion of a continuance on behalf of my fiancee who is in jail. we are hiring a private lawyer.

its a probation hearing. he was at work. his probation officer come to the house and he wasnt home. his dad is in last stages of dementia and he told them we didnt live there. he has lived there ever since he had a stroke in november 2021. he was released from rehab because of stroke. he was suppose to go back to finish out rehab when the doctors release him to go back. he got a new probation officer and he claims he didnt know that he was on medical leave. he was on call in probation. the arrested him 2 weeks ago. what can i do. please someone help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robbie Levin
Robbie Levin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If he has a court date scheduled, it's obviously best if you can hire a lawyer before that court date. However, if you need time to hire a lawyer, then you can show up at the court date and orally request a continuance to hire an attorney. Most Judges will grant at least one continuance to hire counsel.

For more info, visit my website at www.LevinLawyerGa.com

Glenn T. Stern agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.